04/10/2015

Nimisha Verma: The ‘Artistic’ Entrepreneur

Udaipur, the city of lakes is no less than an art hub. From miniature paintings to marble marvels, ingenious photography to traditional jewelry; the city provides dimensions for every artist to explore the creativity that lies underneath and endows with a platform that reaches far.
One such young, female artist of the city is Nimisha Verma who quickly climbed the ladder of success through her virtual boutique NimishaVerma.com that lays emphasis on hand crafted elegant pieces, kids’ occasion wear, royal quilts, home décor as well as wedding and corporate give away.
Soon to launch her new venture ‘Mini Me,’ a designer label for the mother & kids, Nimisha has infused craftsmanship with contemporary art.
A NIFT graduate in Masters of Fashion Management, Nimisha struggled with her mother for the initial 3 years in a venture called Awesome Attire during which she completed her post graduation, worked with designer duo Shyamal and Bhumika and finally chose to come back to Udaipur and expand the business with her mom.
Here is an excerpt of the interview  ( Taken for udaipurtimes.com)  took with the designer:
Q. From designing clothes for adults to now to toddlers, how has the transition been?
A. We used to design clothes for children in Awesome as well. However, the focus was more on adults. The decision to get into kids’ wear was a strategic one. I realized that very few outlets actually design kids’ wear and that too for occasions – hence, the decision.
The transition has not been that easy, however, since I have experience in designing, it’s been a pleasure. I lay a lot emphasis on detailing which actually brings in uniqueness to the products I deliver. But of course the best part is their happy face to get a new dress as compared to an adult.
Apart from catering to the kids’ category I am also experimenting with adult clothes range. For instance I started something called Mini Me, which caters to mother daughter combos. I also customize clothes which has driven me to take some bold decisions, something similar to Mini Me.
Q. What inspired you to plunge into the sector (for kids) which is more of a ‘brand centric’ rather than ‘designer centric’?
Unlike the general notion, I believe that the kids’ sector is more to do with design than the brand. Brand in my opinion is an entity which needs to be built. Before that stage is reached its about letting your work speak for yourself. I am on that stage right now. I firmly believe that consequently I will be able to carve a niche for myself in this industry.
Q. What has been the biggest challenge in the journey?
Whenever you plan to start something new, there are always some people who do not believe in you. They will try their best to pull you down. The biggest challenge was not to lose focus and keep working towards the goal. But I am thankful to my parents who really supported me through my thick and thin. My mother especially who started her business from scratch understood my dilemmas extremely well. I feel lucky to have her around and her guidance.
nimisha verma2
Q. The brand ‘Nimisha Verma’ has been highlighted in various publications across India. Tell us about that.
Well, I have been lucky to have come across media opportunities often. A new comer on the block is usually not considered as a suitable candidate for a profile. But, I have been featured in Femina, my alma mater’s (NIFT) publication which will be published next month as well as among the top 15 websites of Udaipur on UdaipurTimes.com. There was one more article which appeared on an online fashion magazine called Blah n More. I’ve also been covered by Femina for a short blurb.
Q. What is that one quality of you that has made you reach at this point of your life?
I think the most important aspect has been my strong will power to overcome the obstacles and not to lose heart while dealing with professional and personal challenges. If you live a vision, you shall only stop once you have attained it. I was never afraid of taking risks.
Q. How do you see women entrepreneurship in the days to come?
Today’s woman is more empowered and independent. History is a witness that women have always been subjected to animosities, like staying at home and looking after the household. This has helped us evolve as great managers. As you know entrepreneurship is all about effective management, I think in subsequent years women entrepreneurship is bound to expand and burst through horizons as today’s woman knows how to set a perfect balance between her personal and professional life and also, the families have become supportive. In my case, my husband and mother in law were equally understanding. They supported my passion for my work and motivated me in the best possible way.
Q. What are your future plans?
Well my journey has just begun. All I can say is that I look forward to a potential future filled with more creative ideas. I see a targeted online expansion accompanied by fulfilling aspirations of more craftsmen. The more the merrier, isn’t it?


No comments:

Post a Comment